Thursday, March 5, 2015

Anderson workshop - a short version

I just returned from teaching a workshop in Fredericksburg, Texas. It was great to see a few old friends and meet some new ones. I was privileged to again work with a great group of artists. One of those artists is also a very talented writer. Ruth Heffron surprised and awed us all with her poem about the workshop. We laughed and nodded in agreement when she read it aloud while I was doing a demonstration. Everyone agreed she nailed it. I, for one, will try and pay a little more attention to not just what I say, but how I say it!

Maker's Mark

by Ruth Heffron


SURPRISE YOURSELF
MAKE LIGHT TOUCHES, LITTLE MARKS.
FLYING TRIANGLES, ANGLES OF REPOSE
ARE YOUR BEST FRIENDS TO MOVE YOU
THROUGH. LOSE YOUR EDGE. MAKE
NEGATIVE SPACE.

HOLY CRAP, WE'LL HAVE NO BASKETBALL
HEADS NOR FRIGGIN' CONTOUR
DRAWINGS! REALLY?

MAKE INSTEAD YOUR "you are here" MAP
GET IN THE BALL PARK AND KEEP
ADJUSTING YOUR
  LINE  SHAPE  VALUE  COLOR



Ruth Heffron Fine Art


1 comment:

  1. i just read this for the first time
    makes me smile
    remember and want to go paint

    ReplyDelete